Even though Cozumel has an International Airport, most of its tourists arrive to island by taking a ferry from Playa del Carmen. Nowadays there are three ferry companies doing the route from Playa del Carmen pier to Cozumel Island: Barcos Mexico (blue), Ultramar (yellow) and Barcos Caribe (pink). The service they offer is pretty similar between them, they all have speed boats that take 35 to 40 minutes to arrive, you can choose to go inside the boats with a/c or seat at the open air area where you can enjoy the Caribbean sea breeze and take amazing photos during the 14 km route.
Here are some points we think you should take into consideration.
- Check the time schedule of all three companies and plan your trip, you do not have to buy a round trip if you don’t need to.
- Ask for promotions at the ticket point of sale, sometimes they have special prices for round trip tickets or special prices for events like the Ironman or Carnival.
- The ticket includes your luggage, you don’t need to pay extra.
- If it’s a rainy day do not forget to bring with you a jacket or umbrella, the point where you go up into the boat it is open air.
- If you usually get sick on boats, we recommend to seat at the open air area, the sea breeze helps a lot.
- In case you buy a round ticket, put in a safe place your return ticket, if you lost it there is no way to claim another one.
Enjoy and Relax on the boat, you can ask for a beer or soft drink at the cafeteria, this is where your adventure to the Island start. Welcome !
Leave a Reply